Reading Journal #1

In the article Machine Grading and Moral Learning, Joshua Shulz is educating readers about a new software created by Harvard and MIT that automatically grades students essays. This type of software is, of course, very controversial. It was invented to help teachers who need to grade a ton of essays for large classes and is said to be accurate because it is based on human-generated scores. However, some people do not think it is helpful because it focuses on irrelevant criteria that doesn’t necessarily prove that the student is doing a good job.

This article is interesting because it discusses artificial intelligence (AI) and whether or not it should be an accepted way to grade papers and to measure real people’s work. He also mentions that learning requires love, which I thought was interesting thing to bring up when discussing this topic because computers cannot love. Students don’t want to impress a computer because they know the computer doesn’t care.

I liked the authors use of analogies and metaphors in this article in order to get people to understand what it is he is talking about. For example, he described being good at grading papers in comparison to being good at building houses vs. building homes.

This article did lose me a bit when discussing the philosophical aspects that went along with artificial intelligence being a good or bad option when it comes to grading papers.

Overall, I give this article a 6 out of 10.